For understanding Quran, we use the word “Tafseer” which means “to explain and describe”. Tafseer comes from the root letters (fa-seen-ra), or (fassara) means to explain, to discover, to disclose (a hidden thing), and to interpret. In Uloom al-Quran Tafseer is defined to be, “the science by which the Quran is understood, its meanings explained, and its rulings derived.”
Tafseer is essential for proper understanding of Quran. Without knowledge of Tafseer, we can’t understand the meaning of Quran. Tafseer is meant to explain to mankind the Book that has been revealed to them by Allah.
The purpose of Tafseer is to study the principles which the Quran came to clarify:
- The explanation of a perfect set of beliefs with respect to the Creator, and the relationship of the created with the Creator.
- The perfection of personal conduct and good morals.
- The establishment of a set of laws and code of conduct to govern individual and family relations.
- The establishment of laws governing social and political dealings between communities and nations.
- The narrations of the history of the previous nations, so that the pious among them may be followed, and the impious to act as a warning.
- To give the good news of Paradise and the blessings in store for the believers, and the evil information of the punishment of Hell in store for the disbelievers.
- To prove the truthfulness of the Prophet (SAW), and this is done by explaining the miraculous nature of the Quran.
At Masjid Al Aqsaa
43 Station St. Ajax ON, L1S 1S2
Weekly Tafseer sessions are hosted by:
Sheikh Talha Khan